Wednesday, August 1, 2012

059: Carbohydrates: government conspiracy? Or just delicious.

So, I'm finding it hard to be dilligent with this blog. There's just not always something related to my weight loss to write about every day. Which I think is good in a way. This does not own my life.

Yesterday was good. I went to wrights farm with the kids on a field trip and abstained from literally every baked good that was offered to me, no matter how delicious. I was pretty proud of myself. Then I went to the movies, which is also a little test of my abstaining abilities. But with friends as witnesses, I will say I didn't get anything other than a ticket. Go me. So that makes yesterdays food as follows:
7:45am- herbalife shake and tea
11:00am- herbalife shake, banana, almonds
2:30pm- oikos yogurt
6:30pm- chicken and cucumber slices

Then today, I ate:

7:30am- herbalife shake and tea
11:00am- herbalife shake and banana
2:30pm- oikos yogurt
6:30pm- chicken and carrot sticks

I am currently sitting here at the locals loathing this carb free diet. It seems that all delcious things have carbohydrates. I think that is the main ingredient, in fact. Carbohydrates are made of delicious.

So anyway.  The other day at work, the kids were learning about food pyramind/my plate, and there was something that is still sort of perplexing to me. In school, as children we learn that we are supposed to have something insane like 8-10 servings of carbohydrates a DAY. I don't know if that's the statistic that still exists now, but when I was a tot, it was for sure 8-10.  No wonder we as american's are obese. We are told that 8-10 servings of carbs are recommended. As children! Children will believe anything! I grew up believing in santa claus, and carbohydrates.

Carbs really don't have much nutritional value, do they? Especially carbs as people view them. White flour has absolutely no benefits nutritionally. And by the time we figure it out, we're hooked. I mean, if I needed carbs in my diet, I would be eating carbs and not protein. (And I would be absolutely okay  with that).

So if anyone can answer me why we need carbs, please, be my guest. For now I will be oggling the nachos I cannot enjoy. Blah.

4 comments:

  1. As a diabetic, carbs and carb counting does get annoying and I feel your pain with them. But carbs are a necessary part of our diet. There is actually a great article in diabetic living fall 2012 that talks all about carb confusion and following low carb and no carb diets. All research has shown that people who follow a normal diet with 45-65 percent of their calories from carbs are actually at healthier body weights than those who follow low carb or no carb diets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that makes perfect sense. I feel like when I do go back on carbs, I definitely gain weight back so quickly.

      Delete
  2. keep up the good work abstaining!!! We always enjoy reading but only write when you want :)

    ReplyDelete