Monday, July 23, 2012

052: One day at a time.

Sorry to have neglected you, oh blog of mine. The rest of my weekend was really busy. Good times with good friends, and BATMAN. Which was awesome. But that is another blog for another time and place.

Yesterday, I met with a new Herbalife coach. I had been doing some thinking, and really took everyone's responses to blog 49 to heart about how words affect me. Put downs and pointing out shortcomings don't motivate me. At all. It really deeply saddened me and stuck with me all this week... and didn't encourage me to eat better, at all. In fact, it was quite the opposite.

So anyway. Marie, my new coach, really gets the process I'm going through. She used to be a lot heavier (though now she looks amazing!), so she's a girl who has genuinely struggled with her weight. She's also really picky about food, like me, and tends to have the same cravings I do, so she was able to offer me real solutions that will help me sustain these choices for life, rather than committing to some sort of insane OCD ritual that will not last 3 months before I break down completely and toss the idea entirely. She and I came up with a realistic meal plan that I think will really work for me.

Also, at the suggestion of a friend, I went to a compulsive overeaters anonymous meeting. It was quite an experience, and I don't know if I quite fit into that category, but I went anyway. First of all, I was the only person in the room who was under the age of 40. So there was that. Also, most of the compulsive overeaters were still overweight, despite having been in the program for years, so I'm not entirely sure how that works. Also, most of them struggled with other addiction problems, to either drugs or alcohol. Their stories were really moving, but I don't know if I'm quite there yet. For one thing, I don't pick food out of the trash and eat it.

But it got me to thinking of food as an addiction. I have histories of substance abuse in my family, on both sides. Drug addicts and alcoholics. But I never really thought that addictive personality trait could manifest itself in food. And if food is an addiction, that sucks. Because alcoholics and drug addicts can simply say "I won't ever have this again.". Food addicts have to be subjected to their addiction at least three times a day. To completely abstain from food forever would basically mean I have an eating disorder, which is a whole different and equally serious problem.

I don't know if meetings and sharing my feelings are for me. It was a little hard to handle, emotionally. I think it's a lot easier to share and be honest in this format. Mostly because I don't have to look any of you in the eye when I say this stuff. However, I think I will take some of their tools away with me. I have been thinking very seriously about giving up my emotional trigger foods for life. It's kind of crazy to think of never having something like, say, pizza, ever again, but maybe that's a good thing. Then again, I've also been told it's a bad idea to completely cut stuff like that out, since you eventually go crazy and binge on it anyway.  In any event, one thing I will definitely take away from my brief encounter with OA is the idea of living for today. Yesterday is done,a nd I've got to let it go, and I can't worry about tomorrow just yet. So for today, I am on my herbalife food plan. And that works for me.

5 comments:

  1. Jen, I'm SOOO glad you got yourself a new coach. I don't know if I managed to comment on Josh's commentary or not...but I agree that he took the wrong approach with you. I'm so glad you found a better coach. I'm excited to hear that you and she came up with a reasonably worthwhile food plan too. It may take some time and searching, but it's usually out there somewhere.

    And you're doing great! :)

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was the wrong approach, but I want to clarify that I don't think Josh is a bad coach. He genuinely was doing what he thought would help, and just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else. And as far as the new food plan goes, we will see how it works out. But I am really hopeful and excited.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jen,

    Wow I read your last few posts. I understand how you feel about a lot of things cuz I'v gone through the same more often than not. I grew up with a lot of critasizm. (BTW i can't spell for shit :-P) It doesn't motivate at all. It adds anxiety, especially if you feel like your letting people down. I'm sorry you had to go through that. But just like a shitty boyfriend its important to break up with a crappy coach and find the right fit, and I'm so glad you found Marie. If their is anyone who's gonna get you it's her. It also really hit home reading about making fun of yourself so others don't have to. I almost cried! Believe it or not I'v struggled with that my entire life. Theirs a lot about me that is difficult to talk to anyone about because it makes people uncomfortable. Theirs a stigma in this world about some of the issues I deal with including obesity. So I really understand where your coming from about making yourself a joke. The truth is, we aren't jokes, we're real people with real feelings and real issues. If you ever wanna hang out and catch up, or talk about life and the millions of problems we have that would be awesome. Just hit me up on FB or text me if you still got my number. :-D Keep fighting for yourself lady, your totally worth it!

    Love,
    Elise-N L
    XoXo

    (Yeah I would have just put only Elise at the end but then you prolly would have no idea who I was lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't think Josh is a crappy coach, Elise! Josh was just doing what he thought would help. It's been a learning process and a struggle for both of us, and he did the best he could. I do think Marie will be a better fit though.

      I'm glad what I wrote resonated with you. You're right. This pattern of making fun of ourselves has to stop.And I would love to catch up. I don't have your number, but if you have mine, it's the same as it's been since forever. Also, you can FB me whenever. I'm interested to hear how your herbalife journey is going too!

      Delete
    2. Lol! Ooooh I wasn't sayin he sucks, or his heart wasn't in the right place, or wasn't right for someone else. That's just my sense of humor, to support ur decision. I'm pretty sure ur number is still in my cell, but u never know with technology these days! My Herbalife Journey is a woeful tale not for the faint of heart as of late :-P I got a blog I designed with a domain name all pretty pretty and yet have to write in it. You infact were the inspiration! ^-^ Life's just been crazy and I'v fallin off the wagon which has held me back, and is pretty much the soul cause o my life being crazy. Kinda spun a bit out of control, But I'm workin on gettin back in my routine. I will deff hit u up, and we will chill, and talk, and whateves like old times! It's on babycakes! :-D He he he!

      Delete