Friday, May 4, 2012

039: A little better all the time.

So since my last entry, I went to bed and had a nightmare that I went to my herbalife weigh in on Sunday and I had gained back 7 pounds and my coach yelled at me in front of everyone. This, of course, is completely irrational. I highly doubt that my coach would yell at me, and I highly doubt I have eaten enough to put on 7 pounds in a week. But I felt so guilty about hitting the drive through an not working out yesterday that my mind went crazy I guess.

Some of you think I'm too hard on myself. And maybe you're right. But the fact of the matter is, if I listened to my body, I would probably never go to the gym, or eat healthy. I'm still waiting for my mind and body to come around to this new way of thinking. It takes 3 months for your brain to adjust to change this big, and until then, I have to struggle and force myself to do it, or this house of cards adventure I'm on will be shot to shit. I am in this for the long haul.

Anyway. Today I woke up and my legs still hurt. Maybe not as badly as before, but still, really bad. Working out didn't seem to be an option, and with the wedding coming up and my recent slip, it HAD to be an option. I was trying to figure out what to do when I got some GREAT reader advice from Ryan at <a href="http://www.laidbackfitness.com">Laid Back Fitness</a>. I have been reading his blog and watching his videos. I really love the philosophy behind laid back fitness. Something that resonated with me was when he said that People don't go easily enough on themselves when they are having a light workout, and don't work out hard enough when they are pushing themselves.  I think that's really true. I think that if I  had been pushing myself hard enough in my self guided workouts, then maybe this wouldn't have happened. In any event, I took his advice and walked today, and tried to do maybe 60 percent of my workout. I worked out my arms and walked on the treadmill, and then took a steam bath to sweat out my toxins and some of that water weight I am sure I was holding onto from my unhealthy lunch. It felt really good. My legs seem to hurt less now and are cooperating a lot better than they were this morning, and while my heart rate was definitely not high enough, and I only burned probably 75 percent of the calories I normally do, but it was all I could do, and I accepted that. And it was better than staying home once again.

So all of this has led me to going in for a meet and greet at Laid Back Fitness, and maybe seeing about doing some personal training with them. I'm pretty excited. I hope it will be a good fit. Another reader pointed out that it's really tough to find a good trainer, in the same way that it's tough to find a good therapist. You need to find someone who understands exactly what you want to get out of it, what your limitations are, and what approach works best for you. Which is so true!

Tonight I also convinced my roommate and her boyfriend to eat a healthy dinner with me, which I considered a triumph since they are the biggest junk food junkies. Well, my roommate goes through alternating health nut and junk food phases. Her boyfriend just eats like a dude. I made a salad and some 150 calorie whole wheat pizzas, and they loved it. I was pretty psyched. It can definitely be tough coming home and having an herbalife shake while they are enjoying ice cream and pizza and mozzerella sticks on a (literally) nightly basis. But maybe they will come around and enjoy a salad with me every once ina while.

Ice cream is still more delicious.

This week, and the next three days will be a marathon of hair appointments, nail appointments, tanning, and last minute gym sessions, hoping to tone up just a smidge more before the wedding. And the wedding photos, which I will totally post with a hideous "before" photo so you guys can see if there's any difference.  Thanks again for all of your gym/nutrition advice, and encouragement. (And thanks especially to Maggie for the lovely card!)

No comments:

Post a Comment