Saturday, April 14, 2012

026: In which zumba finally clicks and I throw my car radio out the window.

Hey out there! So first things first. THANK you for all of your killer awesome advice on my last post. I definitely took it all into consideration and I've decided to try to be more active at work next week (planning a few long distance walking trips with the kids) and do what Becky recommended and try to find an intense workout to do 30 minutes a day once or twice next week.

Plus, I am going to go to ZUMBA on Thursday night. Turns out the problem on monday wasn't zumba, but rather my instructor. This saturday morning class was SO much better, and easier, and awesome. The instructor, Steffi, plays GREAT music (backstreet boys, anyone?) and her combinations are easy enough that you can actually follow along. She teaches on Thursday nights as well, so I'm going to go thursday after work. Long story short, I am going to make this work.

Also, it would seem that blog fever has started to spread. A lot of you out there are starting to blog about your own life experiences and body images, and I think thats awesome. Jane is writing about "being the bigger person", Elise is writing about her struggle with mental health, and of course, Sara's still holding it down with the twenty/40 project which I read pretty often and love.. You girls have SO much going on! It's crazy. I hope blogging does as much for you as it has for me!

Lastly, and not to end on a down note, but I have to address size-ism. I started to write this blog earlier this week, after reading an article in which a writer for Marie Clare Magazine was reviewing the tv show Mike and Molly which is about two overweight people who are in love. In her article she said that she found it "gross" to watch two people with "rolls and rolls of fat" make out and then even went on to say that she finds it "aesthetically displeasing" to watch fat people do ANYTHING... even walk across a room

Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME?

The writer/director of mike and molly talked about the article pointing out that the whole article (titled should fatties get a room? ) didnt talk about the acting or writing or directing at all but instead was an attack on two people and how their bodies looked. The writer eventually wrote a halfhearted apology but Marie Clare refused to take the article down and stood by it.

So that was strike one this week.

Strike two happened this morning. I missed my exit on the way to the gym and got detoured. I am glad it happened though because I heard DJ Vezze Parmasean on jammin 94.5 talk about "duff hunting". A "DUFF" for those of you who don't know, and as the DJ explained on the air is "the designated ugly fat friend" or the fat girl who goes to the club with a skinny girl and acts as "security" keeping all the guys away from the skinny girl so she can just dance. Duff Hunting, as the DJ explained, is when guys go out in a group and one guy "takes it for the team" and distracts the fat chick so that the other guy can get with the hot girl.

I have HAD. ENOUGH.

DUFF is a descriminatory term. If this DJ was using the term "faggot" or the N word, or "towel head" he would be OFF the fucking air. Same with the magazine article writer. If she siad it was aesthetically displeasing to see black people do anything, even walk accross a room, or that she found it gross to see two jewish people making out on tv, she would also lose her job.

Size-ism is real and should not be tolerated. If you are a bigger size and happy with yourself, you should be. A lot of people turn a blind eye to this because supposedly it's something people can control. Anyone who has ever had to lose a huge amount of weight knows just how hard it is to control this situation. It's almost as offensive as asking someone who is gay to just "stop" being gay.

Like it or not, while you can change your eating habits and work out, there are some people who are just built to be bigger. This is our body chemistry. Our metabolism. Our genetic code. How the FUCK are we supposed to change that?

I would like to conclude this by asking my rhode island and boston friends to Write to the show . Email morning show/feedback/AND if possible DJ Vezze and tell them that this is NOT okay. Listen to hot 106, or literally any other station. You wouldn't want to hear racism or homophobia or any other form of bigotry on the radio. Let's not encourage language that leads to depression, eating disorders, and descriminating people based on their body image.

Anyway. Weigh in tomorrow. Lets see if double duty at the gym makes up for my rocky start at the beginning of the week.

Week 4: 240lbs
Breakfast: herbalife shake w/chocolate protein
Lunch: herbalife shake w/chocolate protein
Snack 1: granola square and a plum
Snack 2: granola square and a salt free rice cake
Dinner: 150 calorie pizza, grilled chicken, and spinach/cucumber salad

Plus 3 multivitiamins, 3 cell activators, and 8 80z glasses of water

Excercise: kicking my own butt at the gym... twice!

6 comments:

  1. I never thought of it that way, but you're totally right!!

    P.S. How the heck did you drink 8 glasses of water? I always try, but I just can't do it! hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently started thinking that way. But it's so true, and I don't know why this one form of descrimination is okay.

      Here's my water trick- buy the BIGGEST aquafina water bottle you can get. It's equivalent to 4 8oz glasses. Drink it over the course of the day, and then refill it and force yourself to drink it again. It's easier to stick to than drinking 8 individual glasses.

      Delete
  2. You weigh less than me lady! Good for you! Keep up with the gym. I was told by a trainer that I'm friends with that PROTEIN is the best thing for breakfast because it starts the metabolism much faster than carbs. Also, snacks are FANTASTIC. the more often you eat (not the more stuff you eat) the better your body will metabolize things. If it doesn't feel like you are starving it, it wont hold onto things it doesn't need. I have heard equal arguments about working out first thing vs last thing. Keep your head up and take those "duff hunters" for a ride they will never forget. What a bunch of assholes.
    ~Dahlia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably have a lot of muscle though, not fat. You're buff, lady! I am definitely upping my protein with raw almonds and lots more lowfat white meat/lean beef in my diet. And I try to do 3 meals and 2-3 snacks. I feel like my metabolism is definitely speeding up, and my stomach is definitely more accustomed to smaller portions.

      And as for those DJs, they are pretty much going to regret saying the word DUFF. If I have anything to say about it. Write to their station! tell your friends to write to their station! I kind of want to take these a-holes down.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome girl!! You must be feeling great! I wish I could convince my mom that exercise is important, too and not just dieting. Most importantly, self-confidence! And you're making it fun. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let your mom know that excercise is MOSTLY important so that your skin doesnt sag after you lose weight. That's my biggest fear, which is why I'm working out constantly. Plus, it just makes you so much healthier. I don't get winded as easily anymore, which is awesome.

      I have sporadically been reading your travel blog as well. Sounds like your semester abroad has been amazing! You me and burg will have to get tea or something when you are home, I miss you kids!

      Delete